Why JoHo Insurances?

JoHo is one of the few organisations in the Netherlands where you can directly purchase a comprehensive range of foreign insurances from a variety of insurers. As with our other products and services, we believe that you should be able to choose between the best, the most cost effective and the most specialised insurance.

JoHo offers various possibilities from combining insurances to assisting in transferring from one insurer to another.

When you purchase an insurance policy through JoHo, you with not pay anymore than if you had purchased it directly from the insurer. Sometimes (through special collective agreements) you will pay even less.

JoHo offers support with problems that may arise with the insurer. Sometimes disagreement with claims, cancellation notice or insurance premiums can occur. In this situation it helps if you have the assistance of an organisation who has an established relationship with the insurer.

No Income

If you have no income, the following criterion is considered: which country are you registered in? When registered abroad, you can be insured under the foreign health-care system. Of your home country doesn't offer any insurance, we can provide you with several insurance options.

Insurance Options:

 In the Netherlands, we take into account whether you are an EU or non-EU national.

EU nationals in the Netherlands

You are required to take out a Basisverzekering basic health-care plan as of the date of your registration in the Netherlands. If you registered before 1 January 2006, you must be insured from 1 January 2006 onwards. Documents required to apply for a Basisverzekering plan:

  • Basisverzekering application form.
  • Proof of registration with a Dutch local council (if you emigrate to the Netherlands).
  • Copy of passport.

Insurance Options:

Non-EU nationals in the Netherlands

You are only entitled to a Basisverzekering basic health-care plan if you have a residence permit. Documents required to apply for a Basisverzekering plan:

  • Basisverzekering application form.
  • Copy of residence permit card (front and back).
  • Copy of passport.

It is possible to apply for the ONVZ private health-care plan via medical selection up to the date when you are issued a residence permit: you can apply for ONVZ Health and all supplementary international health-care plans. Registration with a Dutch local council is required.

Documents required to apply for the ONVZ Private Health Insurance:

  • Basisverzekering application form.*
  • Proof of registration with Dutch local council.
  • Copy of passport.

* You can indicate that you are applying for a private health-care plan on the Basisverzekering application form. As soon as you become entitled to a Basisverzekering plan, you can then send us the remaining documents; you will not need to send a new application form.

If you are NOT registered with the Dutch local Council, we do have other options.

Insurance Options:



JoHo Insurances


Paviljoensgracht 18
2512 BP The Hague (Den Haag)
The Netherlands
Email: info@johoinsurances.org

All insurances on this website can be applied for at JoHo Insurances, e-mail to info@johoinsurances.org or fill in the appropriate application form on this website. For questions and additional information please contact us!